“Tavush Region Integrated and Balanced Economic Development” project
“Tavush Region Integrated and Balanced Economic Development” project is co-funded by the European Union and RA Government. It is implemented by “Community Center for Development” Territorial Cooperation NGO. The Project implementing partners are “Lusadzor”, “Achajur”, “Sevkar”, “Sarigyugh”, “Nerkin Tsakhkavan” and “Koghb” Pasture Users’ Unions.
The Project activities are orientated at a more balanced social and economic development among Tavush region communities and poverty reduction in the region through creation of new economic opportunities and jobs for local population. This initiative will contribute to support the diversification of economic activities, the development of competitiveness of local farmer cooperatives and small/medium enterprises (SMEs), including new opportunities for investment and realisation of agricultural products.
Implemented actions through the project life cycle in the rural sector will permit to diversify the agriculture production and better position it in the market. The production standards will be enhanced, technologies will be renewed and the grounds for sustainable development will be laid. New businesses will be founded and established. As a result the project will create 120 direct and 400 indirect jobs in the region. The latter will promote the inclusive employment and will substantially contribute to the poverty reduction and reduce tendencies of outward migration.
Conduct baseline study (including market research) to reveal the existing economic conditions in Tavush Region target communities
- Establish “Tavush Agribusiness Association” – a non-profit business incubator consisting of two sections:
- 1. Animal Breeding Section ( with new created 3 enterprises: Meat production, Pilot chicken farm, Advanced dairy company).
- Horticulture Section (with new created 4 SMEs: Fruit and vegetable freezing, Production of dried fruits, Greenhouse, Production of herbs and tea)
- Road-repairing works in hardly accessible sections of the roads leading to main pasture lands to develop the capacity of the animal breeding farms.
- High-bred pedigree sheep (Romanov) and female high-bred pedigree cows (Jersey and Simmental) will be imported in order to disseminate more productive cattle breeds in Tavush Region
- Organise trainings and consultations for representatives of SMEs and agricultural farms to increase local agribusiness representatives’ employability.
- Hold a job fair for potential employers and job-seekers, and conferences with participation of local and international individual investors or investment organisations.
Project Duration: December 2016 – July 2019
Total Project Budget: EUR 1,626,333.33